Saturday, May 20, 2017

Adventure: The Witch's Friend (update 13)

Introducing The Witch's Friend!
This adventure will be a bit of a different CYOA, focusing on probably one particular transformation rather than a bunch of branches and endings. It will also be run differently; rather than me coming up with a bunch of directions a particular page can go to, every page's comment section is a forum for suggestions on what should happen next.

I will basically pick my favorite suggestion(s) from those given, and branch off events from each. More than one mutually compatible suggestion may make it into the same page after the one in which they are suggested.

What's New? 
Update 13-5 new pieces, one with an image. Update 12-4 new pieces, one with an image. Thanks to Volt for suggestions which helped me get some new inspiration for this.
Update 11.5-1 new piece with an image. Also I forgot to say what needed suggestions down below and fixed that for this update.
Update 11-5 new pieces; admittedly mostly things I wrote a while ago and held back on publishing for one reason or another.
Update 10-4 new pieces; two have images. Re-ordered update list (the thing you're reading now) to have most recent first so it's easier to see what the newest stuff is instead of having to read down the whole list every time.
Update 9-9(!!) new pieces, 3 of which have images.
Update 8-5 new pieces, including two with an image.
Update 7-3 new pieces, all three of which have an image! (Used to be 2 but I decided to add a 3rd the next day)
Update 6-1 new piece; small update.
Update 5-3 new pieces, one of which has an image!
Update 4-4 new pieces (don't expect this pattern to continue though, honestly)!
Update 3-3 new bits, one of which has an image! I've amended the section above to reflect the reality that suggestions don't really just decide what the main character does next, but may dictate what other characters do and even events not connected to any character at all.
Update 2-One step forward added to each of U1's branches.
Update 1-Two branches begun! Fair warning, even events and facts prior to the story's beginning may differ from one branch to another until established somewhere along the branch.
Update 0-It exists! Now seeking suggestions for moving forward from the beginning.

Need Suggestions:
-New pages that have 0 suggestions:  Familiar, Robber, Getting Smaller, Teleportation, Weights
-Other pages I'd really like to see more/different suggestions for: Dark, Help Out, Resistant
As always, pretty much any new suggestions are welcome, but I am very interested in adding more "depth" to the graph representing the branching storylines if possible (that is, moving them farther forward as opposed to adding more splits).

42 comments:

  1. I am not sure if it is because I am using a mobile browser or not, but for some reason, I have not seen any change in the witch's friend start, namely, no branches to select.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's probably cached an old version of the page. I know that on a computer browser that could be fixed by holding shift and clicking refresh, and/or going into the history and clearing the cache, but I don't own a smartphone so I'm not sure what the equivalent is for that kind of browser. Sorry I'm not more help with this.

      Delete
  2. Are you still writing captions or stories?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. It's just taking me forever to finish any single thing to a point where I can publish it, which is an irritatingly regular condition for me to be in.

      Delete
    2. Well know that I am rooting for you!

      Delete
  3. So how are the stories coming along?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you going to make any halloween captions or stories?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some of the pages seem to not have suggestion boxes. Is that intended?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The comments are enabled on those pages now; thanks for letting me know. Something went wrong and I don't know why, sorry.

      Delete
  6. How are stories coming along? I am not rushing you or anything.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh. This post reminded me....

    How is the magical day story coming along?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been on the backburner for a very long time. I guess I have one ending mostly done but I kind of want to fill in a bit more before I publish that.

      Delete
  8. I think this is probably your most popular project on here; love it.

    I do suggest one thing though: you should probably come up with a template for Ryan and Eris, both before any of their changes. You know, just so people have something to go off of. And in case any of them change back to normal, temporarily or otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure exactly what you mean by a template. My best guess is you're referring to having an idea of their original appearances and personalities? I have that, but there are things (like original hair color) that vary from timeline to timeline.

      Delete
    2. That is what I meant, yes. I guess I didn't pay attention enough to notice there were differences. Interesting.

      Delete
  9. I love this series so much! :D Can't stop coming back to it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm if you brought up that you were stopping or cut out pieces of this series or not, because I just recently stumbled upon this. I really enjoyed the "Ring" series and was wondering why there were gaps, like I was it went from 4.4 to 5.1. I was also wondering if you could continue that series again. (Yes I do realize it was almost 2 years ago.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I basically have intentions to continue everything, it's just a matter of what I feel inspired/able to write when I have the time to do so.

      Ring's "x.y" section format is intended to represent "chapter x", "section y". It doesn't go 1-9 for that reason.

      Delete
  11. I seem to be unable to connect to the site currently. I don't know if it's on my end or yours.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's working fine from here. I'm not sure if it will fix anything or not but try clearing your cache maybe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried accessing it from a different network, and it worked perfectly fine. Cancel panic.

      Delete
  13. Do you ever plan to continue the Ring or Midas Journal stories?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly want to, but I've had a lot of inspiration to carry forward TBRE at the moment, so that's why that's what I've been writing so much of lately.

      Delete
    2. Oh, okay. I will still be waiting though.

      Delete
  14. I did a thing :D

    Hopefully it leads to many things.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It seems the site for Witch's Friend, and Magical Day are both down for some reason. Is there a reason for this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two separate problems:
      1. I forgot to log in, which I have to do once a month or it temporarily suspends it. I could fix this by just logging in, but...
      2. Right now, the hosting site is broken and won't let me log in.

      If the problem gets fixed to where I can get logged in in the next couple of days then it should come back up. Otherwise I can look for a new host or something and change the link to the new website once it's all set up.

      Sorry for the trouble in general.

      Delete
    2. The login worked today, and it's letting me unsuspend myself, so everything should be back to normal now. Sorry for the trouble, and thank you for reminding me about this. Never hesitate to poke me via another comment if my neglect lets it go down again.

      Delete
    3. The site is down again. Hope you can get it back up again, I was thrilled to see you were still around, I lost track of this blog and you a while back and I'm glad to see you're still around and creating, I've always loved your stuff!

      Delete
    4. Logged in and brought it up once more.
      I have to log in once a month in order for it to not automatically suspend me, which you would think wouldn't be that hard to do, but I've been very, VERY busy lately. Remind me if it goes down again, please.

      Delete
    5. Looks like it's down again.

      Delete
    6. This time, I don't even seem to have received any "inactivity warning" emails, they just nuked everything without telling me? At any rate, it's up again now, but I can't for the life of me remember how I made it put the content over most of the window instead of being infuriatingly narrow, and for the moment it just doesn't feel worth it to try any harder to figure that out.

      Delete
    7. It's down again.

      Delete
    8. Thanks for letting me know, fixed again.

      Delete
    9. This doesn't seem like a reliable hosting service. Down again.

      Delete
    10. It's not the host being unreliable, it's that it requires me to sign in once every 30 days (or so), and I typically don't remember to do so because I haven't really been doing much with this stuff for years now. I'd be happy to move it to some other free site without the inactivity suspensions if I knew of one, but even the effort of looking for something like that just isn't worth it to me at the moment.

      Anyway, I unsuspended the account again for now.

      Delete
  16. Seems to be down again. Hmm... For a free site, would DA work maybe? Or does that just not have the right setup for what you want?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you mean deviantart, that website overall is pretty trash. It's not really designed to hold anything but images (because it is primarily an art site, after all), and it's plastered all over with obnoxious ads for their premium service. I gave up on even trying to copy over the first few paragraphs of stories there as a preview some time ago because their "literature" interface is so bad. Even if deviantart had a decent way to just copy in formatted text and keep all of its formatting, the CYOAs I have are in wordpress format, and would be a large pain to transfer to some other format. Certainly not worth it while I'm not feeling very inspired to write any more of them.

      Anyway, I tried to get the site back online, but right now the page that's supposed to let me edit the website to set everything back up won't successfully log in. I'll try again later.

      Delete
    2. Hm. Fair enough. Here's hoping you're able to find a better way that doesn't have many issues with transferring over.

      Delete