Monday, February 14, 2011

A Query: Caption Challenge Blog?

I'm kind of breaking my own rules with this post, specifically the ones where every post is supposed to be either a caption or a story written by me, but I think it's an important or at least interesting enough topic for me to devote a post to it.

The process I use when making captions comes in three separate parts: The first part is finding images and collecting them; the second part is finding inspiration from specific images; the third part is turning that inspiration into a caption or story. I am way faster at the first part than I am at the other two, which means I have a lot of images. So many, in fact, that there is probably no way I'll make a caption for every one of them.

There's another issue I've noticed: When you look around, there really aren't very many active captioners of relatively clean anime pics (that is, the sort I use) about these days. Or if there are, I don't know where they're hiding. So..what if I were to make a second blog where I post pictures, and other people, in comments, make captions out of those pictures? I would consider it a "caption challenge blog", and perhaps some pictures would have optional special conditions to meet with the caption (like, "use this kind of situation" or such). I can't make it contests, because (1) I would not be up to the task of judging, nor do I know anyone who would; and (2) I have nothing to offer as a prize to the "winner".

Anyway, with this idea, I'm just curious..who would be willing to try responding to such challenges? If there's not enough interest I won't bother, obviously.

EDIT: Okay, there was enough support of the idea so I did it. The new challenge blog is at:
http://animetgcaptionchallenge.blogspot.com/

9 comments:

  1. You've got one vote from me.

    I've always wanted to attempt captioning for myself, but never take any initiative into it.
    Perhaps if the first initiative were taken FOR me, I'd get off my ass and do some. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think thats an awesome idea. I would totally try to do that

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would gladly help you making more captions, event for this blog. E-mail me if it's ok with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, then I'll do it. Here's a link to the new challenge blog:
    http://animetgcaptionchallenge.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds like a lot of fun. I'd love to join in!

    ReplyDelete
  6. for some reason my posts on A Temorary change won't allow me to post. So I posted anonymously

    ReplyDelete